Job Announcement: Dover/Kent County MPO Executive Director
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 18th, 2017
JOB OPENING: Executive Director
The Dover/Kent County Metropolitan Planning Organization is looking for a new executive director for its office in Camden, Del. This individual should be a highly motivated professional with executive-level management experience.
Salary: $60,000 +/- depending on experience and qualifications; negotiable.
Benefits: Employee medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long- and short-term disability, IRS 457 deferred compensation plan, 12 paid holidays; sick and vacation hours.
About the position:
While working at the pleasure of the MPO Council, the executive director manages/supervises the daily operations of the MPO.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation and management of the annual budget
- Supervision of three full-time employees, seasonal interns and part-time employees in addition to associated human resources activities
- Facilities management
- Contract negotiation and administration, grant management and ensuring that the MPO’s annual spending plan, or Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP), is implemented.
The executive director must ensure the MPO’s compliance with current state and federal transportation laws and regulations, the Clean Air Act and Amendments, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Circular A-87 and amendments regarding the administration of federal funds.
This position is responsible for maintaining effective, cooperative relationships between all levels of government, particularly members of the MPO Council and committees. The ideal candidate interacts well with all levels of employees of the member agencies as well as with elected officials.
The executive director oversees long range regional transportation planning, air quality and conformity, develops the MPO’s Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), carries out a proactive public participation plan, and organizes and manages transportation studies.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Knowledge and experience in planning
- A good understanding of the metropolitan planning process, and the requirements of Section 450 of Title 23 and Section 613 of the Federal Transit Act (49 U.S.C.) is especially helpful
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of seven years of progressively responsible managerial experience in transportation planning or a related field are required. A bachelor’s degree in urban/regional/transportation planning or civil engineering is preferred. Graduate level education in urban/regional/transportation planning, civil engineering, public administration or a closely related field may be recognized in place of a bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field and may substitute for one year of experience. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in transportation planning with an MPO, COG, local government or state or federal agency involved in metropolitan planning.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities include:
- Demonstrated ability to manage an office; supervise and motivate staff
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proven budgeting and financial management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and related applications
- Knowledge of the principals and practices of transportation planning, of management and administration, budget processes and analysis and the implementation of public policy
- Open, effective contact with business and civic leaders, members of the public and the media. Strong communication skills are a must.
About the Dover/Kent County MPO:
The Dover/Kent County MPO is the federally-designated agency responsible for coordinating transportation planning and programming in Kent County, Delaware. Plans and programs that the MPO adopts outline how federal transportation funds will be spent, and they must comply with federal laws governing clean air and transportation.
Contact: Mailed résumés and cover letters should be post marked by August 17, 2017 to:
Search Committee, Dover/Kent County MPO
P.O. Box 383, Dover, DE 19903
Résumés and cover letters also may be e-mailed to: Catherine.email@example.com.
Call (302) 387-6025 with questions.