Transportation Planner II
This position will be responsible for carrying out technical transportation planning activities working with land use planning, zoning, and corridor studies related to the transportation planning process. This position would serve as the professional and technical resource person for activities and operations to comply with the transportation planning processes and documentation required of an MPO, and may include development management, comprehensive planning, economic development, data base systems, human services outreach, capital improvements programming and the implication of zoning on future land use. In addition to supporting the Principle Planner, general duties also include:
- Assists in the research and preparation of annual work programs and budgets.
- Consults, coordinates and advises the Public Outreach professional.
- Coordinates and makes presentations at public meetings.
- Performs related work as required.
A successful applicant for this position will demonstrate strong management/teamwork skills, knowledge of comprehensive, transportation and land use planning, and the implications of redevelopment. Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, are required.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills for Transportation Planner II:
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Thorough knowledge of general planning principles and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of sources of information, current literature, and recent developments regarding transportation and urban planning.
- Thorough knowledge of research techniques.
- Ability to initiate and develop programs and policies.
- Ability to represent information graphically
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability, political affiliation or sexual orientation.
- Ability to analyze policy and technical issues and to exercise sound judgment in decision making when requested.
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS, enough to present data, produce and label well designed maps.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
The position as a Transportation Planner II with the Dover/Kent County MPO requires a degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Planning, Geography, Public Policy, Civil Engineering, Environmental Studies or related discipline and 3 years experience in a similar position. A Master’s Degree in a discipline identified above may be substituted for two years of experience. As an alternative, to recognize the potential to gain the skills required while on-the-job, a minimum of 8 years experience as a Planning Tech may be substituted for the education and experience required for this position. Possession of an AICP, or the interest in obtaining one is a plus.
Salary range $46,000 – $50,000. If interested, please mail your resume and hourly rate requirements to the Dover / Kent County MPO, P.O. Box 383, Dover, Delaware 19903, by 2:00 p.m. Friday, May 4, 2018 or send via electronic mail message to Ms. Cathy Samardza, Executive Secretary, by e-mail at email@example.com.